Friday, January 25, 2019

It's Happening

This is going to be a shorter post than it ought to be, but my movement is limited in was that make it difficult to type. I'm still in Seattle, it has been 16 days since my initial trip to the ER in Portland. Three days ago, I had a run of irregular heart rhythm and low blood-pressure that turned into a moment of crisis in my hospital room. In the end, they had to put in a balloon pump to assist my heart function, with an LVAD still planned for Friday (today). As a consequence of having the balloon pump, my status on the waitlist for transplant jumped significantly, and yesterday morning I was told that they had found a matching heart. I have a heart.

It's 4:30 AM Friday morning and in two hours I'll be taken down to be prepped for surgery. In about three hours, it should be underway. It's hard to describe how I feel right now; joyful, hopeful, terrified...

In some ways the hardest part of this is just beginning, because now it's up to me to take this opportunity and make something of it.

See you all on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment