Saturday, June 23, 2018

That Time I Walked Down a Hill and Back Up Again

I had my regular biweekly visit to the cardiologist this past Monday (June 18th). My recent increase in symptoms seems to correlate to "high volume load", or increased fluid retention. This is really the source of most of my symptoms; heart failure describes scenario where the heart is not pumping effectively and so fluid can get backed up in the system. A lot of people get swollen ankles but I tend to distribute the extra load everywhere so that it's hard to tell, except by monitoring sudden increases in weight and, of course, changes in my symptoms (which is why I log both at the end of my posts). At any rate, it warranted another medication change which hasn't had an immediate effect. I had been concerned that I might have to be admitted, right up until the end of the visit. I honestly don't know if I'd rather just get on with surgery or a procedure that will get me on a waitlist for a heart quicker, or delay things as long as possible. I'd still like to be able to work through December; I feel really insecure about what my financial situation will be once I can't work for...3 months? 6 months? A year?

I know I worry too much and it's probably not good for me. I did get a chance to get out of town for a little bit this week and visit with friends. Aggie has gotten pretty good about waiting for me to catch my breath when we're walking and we managed to take a short walk down to the stream while we were there. I took a million pictures, and they all came out like this. It's tough coming to grips with the idea that a hundred yards on a hilly trail is enough to wipe me out for the day.

My July 12th visit to OHSU is the next big step on the path, so I'll focus on that date and try not to worry about the in-between.

Weight: 213.6, Symptoms: Shortness of Breath, Chest Pain, Mild Nausea, Light-Headedness, Fatigue, Fatigue, Fatigue

No comments:

Post a Comment