Friday, August 17, 2018

Open heart surgeries, 2 for 1 special

I wanted to make a post this weekend about how hard it was to be out of work, but my cardiologist had other ideas.

I was told yesterday that I'm not suitable for a heart transplant because of the pressures in my lung (a new heart would struggle to keep up and likely fail). That doesn't mean I won't every be suitable for a transplant, but some serious intervention is going to be needed to keep me alive and to correct those pressures before that can happen. This is the LVAD heart pump. Ideally, this will be a bridge for me to reach a heart transplant, and this is a very common path for transplant patients. The downside is that this surgery is every bit as, if not more, traumatic that the transplant itself. So, if all goes as planned, I will be out of commission for 3+ months starting Wednesday August 22nd. And if everything goes perfectly, I might be on the transplant list as early as 4-6 months from now.

I'm going to be scrambling for the next few days getting things in order and lining up a support network to help with day-to-day life once I get out of the hospital. This is going to be so hard on Mel and she has put up with so much already. If any of my local friends reading this feel like they have some time to help out, even a little bit, please let me know, or contact Jef or Melinda. You can even comment here if you need a way to get in touch. I feel pathetic asking for help again and again, but this is the hardest thing I've ever done, and now between the LVAD and hopefully the transplant, I get to do it twice. I need all the help I can get.

Weight: 210.0, Symptoms: Mostly fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, anxiety

1 comment:

  1. If Jef or Mel was on the transplant list, would you feel put out if they needed help? Or would you bust your ass however you could to help them because you love them? Do not deny the people you love the opportunity to care for you by feeling like a burden or ashamed that the body you were given requires assistance. You didn't do this to yourself. It happened to you, not because of you. Being a good man and a good friend is what brought you to a place where you are loved and supported. Use your energy to get well, not to feel bad. And once you are well, you can shower your supporters in love and beer and whatever else you want to thank them with. That's the end goal here...get Jay to the celebration party and have the time of your lives because you will ALL have earned it. 10 fold.

    ReplyDelete