Friday, August 3, 2018

Still worth it

Mel waiting with me for the surgeon
Yesterday I met a couple of surgeons and had some labs done. Today I met with the nutritionist, had an ultrasound, and had some labs done.

The meeting with the surgeons made a lot of very scary things very real. They came off as competent, confident, and optimistic, but they also took the time to describe in detail what a transplant would be like. The thought of waking up a day or more after it's over with tubes coming out of my chest is extremely unsettling. Mel came with me and I don't think it was any easier for her to hear than it was for me.

Aggie at her first training session,
right after peeing on the floor.
The meeting with the nutritionist was only slightly less upsetting, as she took the time to list every single food that I would never be able to eat again after the surgery. We went over how I should be eating leading up to the surgery which was helpful and less disturbing.

Everyone has continued to insist that I appear to be a good candidate for a transplant, which is still the best option...as it is probably the only option. One thing that has started to weigh on me is that I will be in the hospital and away from the dogs for several weeks. That's a bummer. I've started taking Aggie to a trainer with the hope that she will learn enough that I'll be able to walk her and handle all of her anxious energy as soon as possible during my recovery.

Next week I will take care of most of the rest of the evaluation and I'm still hoping to hear something about being waitlisted by the end of the month.

Weight: 213.4, Symptoms: a little chest pain, a lot of fatigue, shortness of breath, more than typical light-headedness

No comments:

Post a Comment